Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Garden in the Woods

Visited Garden in the Woods today in Framingham.   It's been too long since I've been there and it was beautiful as always.  I'm starting a new garden area at the end of the driveway and want it to look natural, like it would have come right of the woods.  I got some wonderful ideas, and plants.  Here are some highlights:

King Solomon Seal, Polygonatum biflorum, yes, much larger than the ones home in my garden.

Goldenseal, with the berries just starting to form in the crux of the leaf.  I love how it does this.  The garden had multiple areas in the woods with stands of goldseal, so nice to see this powerful plant thriving in such abudance.


Paris quadrifolia, I'm not at all familiar with this and loved the blue berry on the top.  Will need to look it up, anyone know this one?

The garden has a collection of pitcher plants, these in a little island in the pond were my favorites.

American Ginseng, Panax quinqufolia.  Another plant so nice to see thriving in our area.

I loved this view of the Mayapple, Podophyllum peltatum, showing the little fruits starting to form under the leaves.

Cool horsetail, not quite sure what species Equisetum but I asked at the info center and they said it was scouring rush.  Need to research, loved the colors.

Great St John's Wort, Hypericum ascyron.  I've never seen this large variety before, striking!
And there was so much more, a garden well worth visiting many times.