Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Spring is Here!

I don't know where March went...I know I've been behind on my blogging, but when I saw my last post was in February I was rather surprised. So lets see if I can back on track here, there's so much to talk about!

After the rains and flooding that pounded our area, the sun is out and it is unseasonably warm causing the plants to burst into leaf and flower. It seemed like one day, it was suddenly mid-Spring, having missed totally the early Spring part. I hear we are supposed to get back to early Spring weather shortly, but the plants look like they are very happy with this warmth.

Since my new garden was just planted last year, this is the first I'm getting to see what survived the winter. I had never grown hellebores before, and put this one in last year. What a beauty, in full bloom, and now I want all different kinds of them. It is offset by a pink azelea behind it in full flower and daffodils, which in this shaded area haven't quite opened up. But the border of daffodils along the pool are glorious, the prettiest I've seen them in several years.

This nice weather also allowed me to get the cleanup done that should have been finished last Fall. But it was warm and everything was green one day, and then in typical New England fashion it snowed the next and the garden was covered until March (my missing month). And when the snow melted I saw how much did not get done in the Fall. It is all done now, cleaned up, perennials starting to come up and ready for the annual herbs and vegetables. Is there anything more exciting than the anticipation of the gardening season? All things seem possible, and of course, this will be the best garden ever.

Blotanical.com has me inspired to plot out my garden on the computer this year, and I have been trying different programs out. I need one that can easily make curves and other odd shapes, as none of my beds are rectangular. So maybe the graph paper is easier. I'm not giving up on the computer programs yet however.

It feels so good to work the earth, watch the plants popping up, see the trees in bud and see the flowers opening, what could be better?

No comments: