Saturday, October 17, 2009

Garlic Time

Fall is the time to plant garlic and there is nothing better than fresh garlic from your garden. It tastes so good and is extremely pungent, much more so that what is typically found in the grocery store. Garlic is an important herb, and a powerful antibiotic. It helps prevent colds and flus, aids in cardiovascular health and regulating cholesterol and is a great antioxidant as well.

Garlic is easy to grow. It is a heavy feeder so needs lots of good compost and fertilization, but that's about it. The soil should be well draining, and have a ph in the 6.5 to 7.0 range. A good dusting of lime can boost the ph in the soil, but I have never had a problem growing garlic in a good compost.

I start with organic garlic heads from Johnny's Seeds in Maine and like their German Extra Hardy stiffneck garlic. Garlic is known as either stiffneck, which has a stiff stalk in the middle, or softneck, which is typically the type of garlic that is braided. There are many different varieties of garlic so you can try several or find your own favorite. I find the German Extra Hardy grows well and also keeps well throughout the winter.

The cloves are separated from the head of garlic, and planted individually. Each clove will become its own plant and develop a head of garlic. I take the papery wrapping off the garlic clove, but others don't so you can experiment with that. The cloves are planted pointed end up. Make sure to mark where you planted your garlic, and after the ground has frozen put a thick layer of mulch over the area and wait for Spring.



In the Spring, the shoots will appear and can use a good side dressing of compost or high nitrogen fertilizer. I like to fertilize through the season with a seaweed emulsion. And make sure to keep the area well weeded.

Here's my garlic growing from last summer. More next summer on how and when to harvest but get your garlic planted now.

9 comments:

กร1 said...

This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here keep up the good workเว็บสล็อต

kiddy said...

Your do The work is really appreciated round the clock moreover the world. It genuinely is exceptionally a comprehensive and practical Internet site.สล็อตวอเลท

kiddy said...

Your articles or blog posts are inventive. I am seeking ahead to examining the myriad of content material you have connected below. Thumbs up!บา คา ร่า วอ เลท

kiddy said...

I used to be finding out some of your information on this Web page and I conceive this Internet Net-website is essentially instructional ! Keep on putting up.สล็อตเว็บใหญ่

kiddy said...

This is usually this type of a fantastic supply you're furnishing and You furthermore may give it absent at no cost. I really like viewing web site site that know the worth of providing a prime quality source totally free.สล็อต ฝาก-ถอน true wallet ไม่มี บัญชีธนาคาร

kiddy said...

Superior internet site, particularly the place did u come up with the data on this putting up?I have browse some of the articles or website posts on your website now, and I really like your design. Quite a few many thanks 1,000,000 and you need to maintain the effective perform.สล็อตแตกง่าย

kiddy said...

Remarkable putting up. Rather focus-grabbing to study. I essentially prefer to read this type of pleasant putting up. Numerous thanks! retain rocking.สล็อตxo

kiddy said...

I'd need to say this weblog web page very seriously selected me to make it happen! Many thanks, Outstanding submit.เว็บ ตรง

kiddy said...

Very good website, wherever did u come up with the info on this publishing?I have undergo a few of the information on your own Web page now, and I actually like your model. Thanks a million and make sure you sustain the highly effective perform.เกมสล็อต